fashion.writing.miscellaneous

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Knowing your passion...and sticking with it

I've been recently thinking of changing my major which is English to accounting. There are a few reasons why and how how this came about. My older sister and I were talking last week about careers in the hummanitites field, aka English. And I came to realize that although I love English and feel that I am good at it and get excited about it, Accounting seemed like a major that could lead to a secure job with a quiet work environment and good pay. So for like two days my mind was set on taking some accounting classes and declare myself as that major. I realized that I would be at my junior college longer because of the classes that I would need to take for this major thjat is totally opposite of English. The disappointing thing is that I am very close to being done with my English requiremnts and would practically have to start all over if I wanted to be an accountng major. Just thinking about the world of accounting and numbers made me stress a little and feel unenthusiastic. My dad is an accountant and he was asking me if I had read the book that he let me borrow and look through. I still havent yet. I think that's a sign that maybe it's not for me and I would have to practically force myself to do it. I just don't think it's something that I could like a lot or love but just do. But I dont want to go to college and major in something because it makes good money or it will be a secure job. Yes, those are good reasons but I think I would hate my college career because I would be studying something that I hated. I feel that it's important to do what you love and what you're good at, which usually go hand in hand. I for one do not see myself majoring in accounting primarily because I'm not very good with numbers and they don't mean a whole lot to me. Instead I'm better with words and they mean more to me. Also I am not a precise person or a very analitical and logical person when it comes to balancing check books and using equations to calculate numbers to put on to spread sheets. To be honest, that sounds very boring. I'm more of a creative person, a free spirit. I don't think I would fit in if I were with the other accounting majors. But I have to realize that God made me like this for a reason and I have to use my skills and talents that he gave me, and not just ignore them or throw the away. I need to use them and that's why I've decided to remain an English major since I know that fits me and it's my passion. But I do think it is a good idea to have a minor. As of now I'm learning German on my own and I like it so I might minor in that. Overall it's important to do what you love or else you will be unhappy and unfulfilled.Everything else will fall in place if you do what you love.





1 comment:

  1. A great read of your thoughts and decisions colleen! Thanks for sharing this, and I must say that your writing is wonderfully captivating to read!! While you are a great writer and speller (unlike myself)!!

    ReplyDelete