fashion.writing.miscellaneous

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Results from Writing Contest

Last week I got results back from the writing contest I entered. I payed an extra $10 to get a critique. While reading through the critique, I realized that my short story wasn't as good as I thought it was. I knew it wasn't amazing, yet I thought it was some what decent.

Here are some of the things that were listed:
-The beginning needs to be better, I mean aren't scissors usually sharp?
-What's the overall POINT of the story. Is it the donation of the hair, or the horrendous haircut?
-What is the Plot. Sure a bad haircut is a big deal, but is it the end of all situations?
or characterization, the hair dresser can't speak good English and doesn't understand why the haircut is bad. The lady donating her hair to charity is vain and selfish  if she's worried about her haircut after doing something so selfless by donating her locks.
-She also said that my piece needs a clear direction in tone, theme and pacing.

As for scores, 5 being the strongest: Subject I got a 5, Content I got a 3 and Technical I got a 3.

Just Yesterday I received the results for the contest overall. I didn't receive a place in the contest, but I think I'm going to enter another story in the future.

2 comments:

  1. That's great your soo open to feedback about it, ready to learn and do better next time! Great job colleen. I still enjoyed the story!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Matt! Yeah, it's a learning experience so hopefully I will do better next time:)

    ReplyDelete