fashion.writing.miscellaneous

Monday, June 3, 2013

The Great Gatsby



Recently my Mom and I saw the new version of The Great Gatsby. I read the classic back in high school and I read it again two months ago. I really love F. Scott Fitzgerald's writing. I only wish that I could write just as good as him. I've also read some of his short stories...all I can say is I love it! But back to Great Gatsby. The book in my opinion is one that stands out in my mind. The characters, the setting all make a statement of a story with in the 1920's. F.Scott Fitzgerald's writing style is one that takes you into the story and the characters as if you were a part of it too. This was how the movie was. I actually forgot that I was watching a movie. Leonardo DiCaprio really was Jay Gatsby, Toby McGuire was Nick Cannon and Carey Mulligan was Daisy Buchanan.  The music, the fashion, the actors and actresses, it all fit. I don't think I would change a thing. If it were up to me, I would give it an A+.

But it's not just a film with very good cinematography, music that intertwines today's music with artists such as Jay-Z and Kayne West and  music from the 1920's with artists such as Cole Porter, or Oscar award winning actors and actresses. No, I would say it's beyond that. It 's also about loving someone over a long period of time, and what people mean to people. How time changes things and what love truly is. For Daisy, it's loving Gatsby once before and then loving Tom Buchanan. And for Gatsby it's being committed to Daisy, but wanting her to drop everything for him, because of selfishness or selflessness? It's about how we have relationships with people, people who may be our next door neighbors and may become their best friend because we are all they have. It's what we mean to each other.


No comments:

Post a Comment