fashion.writing.miscellaneous

Monday, January 9, 2012

The secret life of sees, but mainly bees

Recently I watched the movie The Secret Life of Bees and I admire the author Sue Monk Kidd, and her creativity and writing talent, which makes this story so good. Since I have also read the book as well. For those who are unfamiliar with this book/movie, it is about a girl who has an angry father, and no mother, yet wants to know about her and yearns for a mother figure in her life as well as to be loved. It's a coming age of story, which takes you to the growing and learning of the 14 year old girl named Lily Owens who eventually finds peace, love, happiness and more knowledge about her mother. It's not only for girls, since my brother watched the whole thing with my sisters and I. I hope someday I can write a story as good as Sue Monk Kidd with as complex, yet interesting and fun characters who make their world feel real to a humble reader. 

You may wonder why I put The secret life of sees, instead of bees in the title. Well, I wanted to bring up chocolate, preferably sees chocolate. Throughout the holiday season I have eaten enough sweets, mainly chocolate to last me awhile. Sees chocolate especially always gets the better of me, maybe it's all the numerous options to choose from, or just Mrs. Sees herself who softly says, take a bite of my chocolates, and nothing seems better than to do so. Whatever it is, I know that I am a sweet tooth, and like honey in the secret life of bees, it's decadent and creates a taste in your mouth that can be hard to describe. Lily thirsted for a mother, and for affection, which she never got at home. These are some of the most important things in life, that happens to be universal. As August Boatwright says in the Secret Life of Bees, everything needs to be loved. Though there are times when I wish I could control  more of my sweet tooth ways, it's important to see things the way they are, and see you the way you are. 
To not sugar coat things but let the light shine through... for the truth will set you free. 

So if you are anything like Lily who seeks her destiny, with 3 mother figures, finds peace and happiness, and is surrounded by bees who carry secrets, and the queen who sits on her throne; or anything like me, who wants eventually to write a somewhat decent story, then don't let your secrets crowd your head. Do what you love, and everything else will follow.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good read! Thanks for the background info! =]] I would love to read it over the summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome! Yes, it's a great book. I actually have it!:)

    ReplyDelete